Our History

Wolfscastle Country Hotel otherwise known as “Allt yr Afon” was, back in the 1600 a cottage redesigned in the 1880s into a 7 bedroom vicarage by the Edwardes family who owned Sealyham dog breed. Over the years we have developed the hotel so that now none of the original walls on the ground floor are on the exterior of the building.

With a castle and its very own legend, the Wolfcastle Country Hotel has a fascinating past.

It stands on a promontory above the confluence of the Western Cleddau and Anghof rivers, next to the Norman castle from which the village and hotel take their names.

The castle was one of a chain of fortresses that were built along an old frontier known as the Landsker, which the Anglo-Normans used to protect their South Pembrokeshire colony.

An ancient cottage once stood on the site of the hotel for hundreds of years and there are still traces of this original building in the hotel. During the first part of the 19th Century – and possibly long before that – the property was a local coaching inn known as the Sealyham Arms.

Later William Tucker Edwardes converted the inn into Allt-yr-Afon (Hill by the River), for his brother, Thomas, who had been seriously injured at the Siege of the Spanish city of Badajoz.

The first Tucker settled at Sealyham during King Edward III’s reign in the 14th Century and the family were tenants-in-chief of the manor until the 1770s, when the Edwardes of Treffgarne inherited through marriage.

One well-known member of the family was Admiral Thomas Tucker, who is said to have captured the pirate Blackbeard, while John Edwardes is famed for breeding the Sealyham Terrier dog.

The house became Wolfscastle House when it and the surrounding land were leased in 1906 to Florence Borradaile, an Indian-born member of the Edwardes family. Sometime between 1906 and 1931 it changed hands again before being purchased in 1931 by Margaret Jane Reynolds, of Castlemorris, for the grand sum of £900.

The property was taken on by current owner Andrew Stirling in 1976. A keen squash player, he decided to build two squash courts and for 20 years teams from all over the country came to play squash and dine on the fine food.

The club later closed and was converted into the present day Wolfscastle Country Hotel, one of Wales’s leading hotels and restaurants – popular with visitors and locals alike.